This ice skate craft for kids is the perfect Winter craft for kids, Holiday themed craft, or snow themed craft for kids of all ages. It is simple to make and uses materials such as paper, tin foil, popsicle sticks, and string or yarn.
This craft is the perfect craft to work on lacing skills which help with fine motor for the little ones, cutting skills, and more. It is a great ice skating craft for preschool, kindergarten, and grade school classrooms, It also makes a great craft for homeschool families, or just a simple craft to make and keep kids busy at home.
Complete this craft while hosting an ice skating birthday party, ice skating event, or holiday-themed event. It also hangs great on a Christmas tree and would make a great ice skate Christmas ornament.
Tips for Success
*To make the ice skate shape simple draw a large bubble letter L that is a little thicker on the bottom. Cut these out.
*For the blade of the skate you can simply use a Popsicle stick or you can choose to wrap a Popsicle stick in tin foil to get a shiny look. You can also skip the Popsicle stick and just fold the tinfoil. If you choose to use a Popsicle stick it will make the project a little bit more durable.
*You can choose any material of choice for the ice skate laces. You will need one larger piece roughly 1 foot long. Start on the bottom of one skate and lace through the holes all the way through the top of the other skate and down. We prefer to use yarn but you can also use strong or ribbon as well.
*To make your project more durable and the lacing easier for young children be sure to use card stock instead of paper or construction paper.
*Little ones will love decorating their skates how they choose. Polka dots, stickers, marker drawings, glitter, and more all make great decorations.
Ice Skate Craft for Kids
- Popsicle sticks
- Hole punch
- String, yarn, or ribbon
- Optional markers, glitter, stickers
1. Draw and cut out two ice skate shapes on cardstock. You can do this by drawing two bubble letter L shapes with larger bottom lines.
2. Cut out two small rectangles (roughly 1 inch by 2 inches) and glue the long way onto the bottom of the skate. Do this with the other ice skate.
3. Cover a popsicle stick in tinfoil completely.
4. Glue this to the bottom of the two rectangles on each skate.
5. Using a hole punch, punch four to five holes onto the front of each skate where the ties will be.
6. Start at the bottom of one of the skates and tie a knot to tie on the yarn. Lace it through all of the holes on the skate until you reach the top. Then leave some slack and start at the top of the next skate. Lace it through all the way to the bottom hole and tie it off with another knot.
7. Decorate your skates as desired. Stickers, glitter, markers, or crayons will all make it look great.
8. Hang your ice skates on the Christmas tree as an ice skating ornament, or hang them up to display.
For other fun winter themed crafts for kids try this melted snowman craft made with homemade puffy paint.