This super simple birthday cake craft for kids uses paper strips of different lengths ad colors to create a tiered birthday cake craft. Add candles to the top to make a great birthday craft for preschool, kindergarten, grade school, and more.
These birthday cake crafts can be decorated in any way. We like to add stickers to our cake but you can also draw favorite images on them, add glitter, ribbons, and more. You can also use paper strips in rainbow colors, patterned colors, or solid colors.
This craft makes an excellent birthday card, measuring and number recognition craft, birthday cake craft, or simply an excellent craft for celebrating a special event. For other fun birthday ideas be sure to also check out these unicorn birthday party ideas on a budget.
Tips for Success
*When making these birthday cake crafts for kids you will need to cut the paper strips. Cut each paper strip roughly an inch shorter than the one before it. You will use 5-6 paper strips for a 9×12-inch piece of construction paper.
*You can use rainbow-colored construction paper pieces, patterned colors, or the same color for the whole cake. Slightly overlap each piece of paper with the one before it when gluing down the paper strips.
Birthday Cake Craft for Kids
- 1 9×12 inch piece of construction paper
- 1 inch wide strips of construction paper in different colors and lengths
- Glue stick
- Glitter (optional)
- Markers or crayons
1. Cut out 5-6 paper strips roughly 1 inch wide. Each one should be about an inch shorter than the last one. You can use different colors of construction paper.
2. Glue your largest strip of construction paper to the bottom of your whole piece of paper.
3. Glue each strip above the last one until you have a tiered cake shape.
4. Add stickers to the different layers of the cake to decorate it.
5. Cut out small skinny rectangles for candles and glue them touching the top layer of the cake.
6. Cut out small teardrop shapes from orange paper for the candle flame and glue them to the top of the skinny rectangles.
7. Add a large number to the top of the paper depending on which number of birthday you are celebrating.
8. Add any additional details to your paper such as glitter or ribbon.