Gluten and dairy free hamburger hashbrown cups are the perfect option for an easy weeknight dinner. Finish them up with the most delicious special sauce recipe and you have a great home cooked meal.
Made to taste like a mix of hashbrowns and hamburgers, these cups are the perfect way to satisfy a craving without breaking out the grill. They can be customized by adding or removing whatever hamburger toppings you like best.
This meal is toddler and kid approved (even my picky three year old will beg for and eat them up!) and loaded with protein. They are naturally gluten free and can be made dairy free by simply switching out the cheese with a good dairy free cheese.
Tips for Success
*Be sure to push the hashbrown mix down into the cups firmly or they will crumble to pieces when taking them out of the cups after baking.
*Make the hashbrown mixture up before starting and cooking the ground beef. The hashbrowns will need to bake on their own while you mix up the ground beef mixture to ensure that they are cooked all the way through.
*You are able to make this meal with regular shredded cheddar cheese or with dairy free cheese shreds. The cheese will also help the cups to hold their shape once baking. You can always choose to omit the cheese but this will make them fall apart easier once serving.
*When buying frozen shredded hashbrowns, make sure to check the labels and purchase ones that are gluten free. Some brands may add gluten in the seasoning on the hashbrowns.
If you’re looking for other gluten and dairy free dinner ideas be sure to also check out this amazing sheet pan sweet and sour chicken. It is up there as one of our favorite meals as well as this one!
Hamburger Hashbrown Cups – Gluten and Dairy Free
18 muffin cups
Hamburger Hashbrown Cup Ingredients:
- 1 20 oz bag shredded frozen hashbrowns
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 lb gorund beef
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped pickles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or vegan cheese shreds)
Special Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp pickle juice
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 18 muffin cups (1 1/2 tins) with cooking spray.
- Mix 2 tbsp olive oil, shredded hashbrowns, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Spoon mixture into the muffin cups and press to pack down into the bottom half of the cup. Press mixture along the sides as well to create a nest shape.
- Insert hashbrown cups into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, begin preparing the hamburger mix.
- Heat onions in olive oil and cook 1-2 minutes until soft. Add ground beef and saute until ground beef is no longer pink and is cooked through.
- Stir in the ketchup, mayo, mustard, and chopped pickles and remove from heat.
- Once 20 mintues are up, remove hashbrown cups from the oven and spoon meat mixture into each cup until cups are filled.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese (or vegan cheese shreds) on top of each muffin cup.
- Cook in oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and hashbrowns are golden brown. Serve with special sauce.
Special Sauce Directions
- Stir together mayonnaise, mustard, pickle juice, cider vinegar, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder until smooth.
- Drizzle sauce on top of finished cups or serve on the side as a dairy free dipping sauce.
Great recipe. I will try it tomorrow
Thank you so much. I hope you enjoyed it!
I like the idea that you can make it in advance for easy dinner meals
Yes, this would be a great one to do that with. Thanks so much!