This DIY party poppers craft for kids is the perfect activity for a rainy day, birthday party, or holiday celebration. Kids can have a great time making their craft and even more fun playing with it over and over.
Once created, fill your DIY party poppers craft with confetti. Simply pull on the balloon, let go, and confetti will fly out. If you’re looking to switch it up, we also like to use marshmallows in our party poppers to make clean up (and reloading) much easier. Doing this turns it into a great marshmallow shooter as well. Marshmallows will fly far and can turn the celebration into a game.
Depending on when you choose to make these party poppers you can switch up the color balloons, the pattern on the paper covering, and the materials inside to match the theme. This is an easy craft that only takes 5 minutes to throw together and is perfect if you’re looking for a craft to make as part of a birthday party.
We created two different versions of this project for the 4th of July. We call them our 4th of July Firecracker Poppers. Download and print out the template at the bottom of the page and use the toilet roll coverings to make these flag and blue stars party poppers. Otherwise, you can use any patterned or solid colored paper of choice. You can also choose not to cover them and simply use the balloon.
For this project you will need an empty toilet paper roll (one for each popper you intend to make), scissors, tape (washi tape if you desire extra decorations), a regular sized balloon, and a filler (confetti, marshmallows, etc…). If your little ones want to embellish them more you may also want foam stickers, glitter, etc. Our favorite craft kit that we use daily includes a lot of these things. Check it out here if you find you are constantly needing craft materials. It includes everything you’ll ever need!
*This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate and a member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small compensation from qualifying purchases. All opinions and recommendations are my own.
DIY Party Poppers for Kids
- Empty toilet paper roll
- PDF Template OR colored paper
- Filler – Confetti, cut up paper, or marshmallows
1. Print out the template PDF at the bottom of the post if making a flag themed party popper.
2. Cut paper of choice or template to size to cover the toilet paper roll.
2. Tape one side of the paper to the toilet paper roll to ensure paper won’t ride up when playing with. Wrap paper around the toilet paper roll and finish by taping the other side.
3. Cut the top 1/2 inch off of the balloon.
4. Open the balloon and insert the cut end onto the end of the toilet paper roll. Tape all around the balloon to tape to the toilet paper roll.
5. Tie the other end of the balloon in a knot.
6. Fill the tube with marshmallows, confetti, or paper scraps.
7. Hold onto the knot on the balloon and pull and let go. Filling will pop out like a confetti popper.
So simple, but so fun!! We may have to make these for my son’s birthday party next month!
Thanks so much! Yes, so fun for a birthday party and such a quick easy craft to give kids something to do!
Love the look of these DIY party poppers for kids! My kids would love these, and we definitely have a lot of empty toilet paper rolls around! Now that school is over we’ll have more time for arts and crafts so we’ll be trying these!
Thanks so much! I hope they enjoy them!
What a great idea to keep the kids occupied and have fun with them at the same time!
Thank you so much!
These are great and so versatile! Can’t wait to try them with my girls.
Thanks so much. Yes, so great for any type of party, gathering, etc…