This apple taste testing activity for kids is the perfect activity to help learn all about apples. Little ones will get the chance to try different colors and types of apples, make predictions, choose favorites, and work on their coloring skills.
For this activity you will need three apples (one yellow, one green, and one red), the PDF apple worksheet, and crayons/pencil.
This is a great activity for children in preschool, kindergarteners (I would do a similar activity every September in my classroom), or early elementary. It can also be done with toddlers with a few modifications. It is the perfect activity to do both with a classroom of students or with children at home.
Children will love getting the opportunity to snack on different kinds of apples. This apple activity can be done after a day of apple picking or after a trip exploring the local grocery store or farmers market and picking out apples of choice.
For this activity you will need three different kinds of apples in three different colors (one red, green, and yellow). I like to pick ones that have a big difference in flavor types and textures (sweet, sour, crunchy, juicy, etc…)
- Green apple options: granny smith, crispin, shamrock, lodi and etc…
- Red apple options: fuji, honeycrisp, gala, cortland, red delicious, pink lady, jonathan, etc…
- Yellow apple options: golden delicious, opal, jonagold, gingergold
Apple Taste Testing Activity for Kids
- 1 green apple
- 1 red apple
- 1 yellow apple
- Attached PDF sheet
- Red, green and yellow crayons
1. Print out the PDF template attached to the bottom of the page on white paper and write name at the top.
2. Have children predict/guess which color apple they will like best. Have them find a matching crayon that color and color in the left side of the apple of their sheet with their prediction.
3. Older children can sound out and write the color word on their line. Younger children can copy the color word name onto the line or dictate and have an adult write it for them.
4. Hand out one piece of red apple to children and have them try it. Have them describe it (juicy, sweet, sour, tart, crunchy, etc…) and think about whether they like it or not.
5. Repeat the process with the yellow and green apples.
6. Have children decide which apple color they like best and color the right half of their apple that color. Have children write the color word (or dictate you and write) on the line under the right side of the apple.
7. Talk about their predictions. Were they right? Surprised? Did they like the same or different than brothers and sisters, classmates, parents, or others who tried apples with them.
8. If desired, eat remaining apples.
Thank you , I am adding to my preschool fall class to do list! Can’t wait to receive more ideas for kids!
Thanks! I hope they enjoy it! I also wrote a post on apple painting that would be perfect for a preschool class! I loved to do it with my kindergarteners when I taught!
This is awesome, I love it! We’ll try it for sure.
Thank you so much!
What a cute idea! We just did some painting with apples here, so a taste test is a perfect follow up activity, thanks!
Yes, we painted with apples too. So much fun! It is the perfect time of year for apple fun!
What a fantastic idea I can’t wait to try this with my kids. Thank you so much xx
Thank you so much. I hope they enjoy it!
What a great activity. Kids love these hands on experiences, especially when they get to taste food. I’ll have to try this in my preschool classroom!
Yes definitely! They will love it. I did it when I taught Kindergarten and it was always a favorite!
Great activities! Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning
Yes! We love play in our house. So important for young children and their learning!